Skip to main content

City Chicken in the Country

I found something new at the grocery store. It's actually kind of old, but it's new to me. It's called city chicken, and it comes cubed and skewered. If you think it looks odd for chicken, that's because it isn't chicken. It's pork. Sometimes city chicken is made with veal, but this is pork tenderloin.

People have always been creative with their food beginning with the first human who wondered if mushrooms are edible. And the one who first sat down to eat a lobster was a genius. People are more creative in adversity than in bounty, which would explain bread pudding and anything cooked with intestines.

During the Great Depression, chicken was hard to come by outside of farms that raised them. In cities like Pittsburgh, pork was much easier to find and relatively inexpensive. Not wanting to do without, people started cutting up pork, breading it, sticking it on skewers to look like a chicken leg, and calling it "city chicken." The pretend drumsticks were usually served with mashed potatoes and gravy or noodles. The idea didn't spread much farther than Detroit and places inbetween, which would explain why I haven't heard of it until now. Sometimes, after browning the meat, these things are finished in the oven, but I followed a recipe that calls for simmering them on the stove. I used a bit less broth and added some white wine instead to give the gravy a little depth. Here is the finished dish with gravy and mashed red potatoes with sour cream. It isn't pretty, but it isn't bad, either. I wasn't fooled into thinking I was having chicken for dinner, but it's not a bad way to serve pork.


City Chicken

1 1/4 pounds pork loin, cut into 1 inch cubes
flour
Milk
Panko seasoned with salt and pepper to taste
2 cups chicken broth
1 pinch dried thyme

1. Mix salt, pepper and flour in a bowl. Dredge pork cubes in flour mixture, dip in milk, and coat with panko. Slide pork onto skewers
2. In a skillet, brown pork skewers on all sides in a small amount of vegetable oil. Drain off any excess oil.
3. Add chicken broth, thyme and bay leaf to skillet. Scrape up any brown bits. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1 hour* or until meat is tender. Whisk in cornstarch to thicken gravy.

*I think this is excessive if you use something tender like pork tenderloin. It just needs enough time to cook through.

Comments

dive said…
Gosh that looks yummy, Robyn.
Save some for me!

Lobsters … Hee hee. Yup; that person must have been SOOO hungry!
As was the first person who looked closely at a snail and thought. "Yup. I'll pop it in my mouth."

Hoorah for those first brave gourmands!
Yummy Robyn - what time should I come by for dinner?
Mrs. G. said…
That looks so good I'm not sure I really care what it is. But I have never heard the term city chicken. Interesting.
I don't often pass at Robyn's food, but this i will. Veal, pork, chicken, which? Ew ew ew, no i don't fancy it at all sorry. Now, the mash.......YUM! I'll have some of that please. I love your cooking usually.....:) x
Gina said…
I've never heard of it, either.

It doesn't look half bad, though.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...