Skip to main content

Mix and Match

There are certain foods that go together, like chips and salsa or peanut butter and jelly or meatloaf and mashed potatoes or chicken and rice. Just about every culture has their own version of chicken and rice. One of the best I have had was made by Flora, a school teacher who escaped from Cuba with her brother, Ramon, and ended up living in Yonkers. She served a great chicken and rice dish one night, and we sat in her kitchen watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympics. I'll never forget it.

But there are some foods that just don't go together no matter how hard you try, and forcing them only goes against nature. Daughter No. 2 has discovered macaroni and cheese pizza. They sell it at Cici's Pizza, and they should be ashamed. Cheesy pasta piled on top of pizza crust is such a bad mix of just about everything--ingredients, textures, colors. I grimace and shiver just at the idea. I grimaced and shivered when No. 2 came home from the South Pacific and said that just about every breakfast buffet in New Zealand and Australia offered spaghetti on top of toast. I'll repeat that--spaghetti on top of toast.

In Pittsburgh, people like salad with French fries stirred in like carrots. In Cincinnati, they like a plate of spaghetti topped with chili. Women at my mother's church make a casserole with canned pineapple and grated cheddar. There is that dessert made with pretzels, Jell-O, and Cool Whip. There is a local understanding of taco salad doused with French salad dressing. There is chipped beef on a waffle, better known as shit on a shingle. And there is the Amish practice of dumping noodles on top of mashed potatoes and corn.

Clearly, a preference for food concoctions is subjective, but it is my subjective opinion that more care should be taken when mixing and matching. Remember that segment of Sesame Street when four things were pictured in a box, and a muppet would sing "One of these things does not belong here. One of these things just isn't the same?" I suggest we apply that same preschool principle to food.

Comments

dive said…
Now you're just making me hungry … hee hee.
Anonymous said…
They mean tinned spaghetti. You know that mushy stuff in tomato sauce you get in the little can.
Tinned spaghetti on toast, I haven't had that for years. Its a sesame street meal and should only be served on a rainy saturday night in front of crap television when no one else is observing you.
Its comparable to baked beans on toast. Its a kids meal or an elderly meal for those with suspect teeth.
I've never been to a hotel here that serves that for breakfast, in fact i think if I had then I'd be asking for my money back.

Australia doesn't really have a signature chicken and rice dish, I guess because we're a nation built on steak and potatoes.
Scout said…
Dive, this post makes you hungry? I thought it might make you want to puke.

Kate, she did say it smelled like Chef Boyardee--the canned stuff kids eat here--the idea of eating that in private is a bit sad. hee hee
J said…
When I was growing up, we would make our spaghetti, and keep the sauce separate from the noodles. Put the noodles on the plate, then the sauce. So you would have leftover sauce, but no noodles. At one point, I discovered that if I took a roll, cut it in half, spread garlic butter on it, and fried it in the pan, I would have some pretty yummy crisp garlic bread...which I would then spread with leftover spaghetti sauce from last night's dinner. This was one of my FAVORITE breakfasts, and I've never been to Australia. :)

That mac and cheese pizza sounds very strange.
Gina said…
Ugh, some of those sound horrible. But I have never heard of "shit on a shingle" but it just may be my new catchphrase.
Scout said…
J (welcome), when I moved to Ohio, I learned how to make "pizza" with English muffins, spaghetti sauce, and mozzarella cheese. Sounds a bit like your concoction.

Gina, the phrase will serve you well. It can be used to describe so many things.
Sassy Sundry said…
This made me a little queasy. Sweet potatoes with pineapple is the nasty dish that came to mind.

Nothing goes with Campbell's cream of mushroom soup.
Vic said…
One of the local colleges used to serve watermelon and onion salad.

What'e wrong with spaghetti on toast?!! It's better in a jaffle.

Sometimes you stumble across a 'wrong' combination that is so good... My current is redcurrant jelly, cheese and spanish onion sandwiches.
Scout said…
Sassy, of course nothing goes with Campbell's cream of mushroom soup, but that doesn't stop people from trying, does it? It's the big danger at potlucks, that an mayo gone bad.

Vic, I don't know what a jaffle is. I have had a similar watermelon salad. hmmm
Terroni said…
Pineapple and cheddar? Yuck!

Last night I had an avocado with a fudge-pop chaser, though. That's probably not normal.
Anonymous said…
haha. you say every culture has a version of chicken and rice... oddly enough, i ate at a cuban restaurant last night and i had... chicken and rice.
Vic said…
Jaffle... A toasted sandwich basically. Done in a press that smashes the edges together and creates a big bread pocket for whatever filling you've put in the middle.

Popular posts from this blog

All In the Details

My daughter Eustacia is pretty handy with a camera and takes pictures of things at angles I wouldn't think of. I have been using the oldest camera in the house, the one no one else wants, and I have been thinking about getting a new one just for me—nothing too fancy or too big—just a nice, digital camera with a functioning zoom option. Until then, here is a closeup of one of my daughter's photos. Have any idea what it is cropped from? Click on the photo for the full shot.

First Chapters Update

Moving this up to the top so no one forgets!! Okey dokey. My first chapter has been posted in the contest. I have 23 votes at the moment, but I want more, please. During the first round, the chapters are posted for 14 days and then pulled to make room for the 50 gazillion people entering this contest. So, if you choose to vote...

My New Sweater

I spent over a week and a half exploring two incredible cities, Paris and London. Once back home, I suffered through 95-degree days with 99% humidity, day after day after day. And what did I do through it all? I knitted a sweater. While on vacation, I found I had a few hours to myself every morning because I am an early riser, and the others in the family tend to sleep in. So, I knitted. When the weather is unsuitable for man and cat, I tend to stay inside, so I knitted. It took me two weeks to finish this simple pattern of stockinette stitching using Noro Kureyon, a Japanese silk yarn, and US8 needles. Imagine what I could make on a trip around the world or if I lived in Florida in August.